Advantages compared to sodding:
- Less expensive - 2 to 5 times cheaper depending on preparation work required.
- Better results - Use a blend of drought-resistant grass seeds that grow well in Toronto and are suitable for your particular location and conditions: a natural organic process as compared to a cosmetic sod job.
- Better for the environment - Sodding is a high carbon footprint approach that often fails because the sod (typically Kentucky blue grass) is not suitable for your yard and requires more watering than many of the grass species that are available only as seeds.
- Fun to watch it grow!
This Fallingbrook seeding project produced great results! Photo was taken after first mowing, approximately one month after seeding. Previous sod lawns had died and the yard was entirely overrun by weeds. I manually scalped the top four inches of soil and replaced it with six yards of quality topsoil. Seven different varieties of hardy, drought-resistant grass seeds were liberally applied and the lawn was watered daily for 3 weeks. Not the easiest job to do on a small hill, but well worth the effort as the customer was pleased with the results and the cost.
As the video shows, a specially-geared NaturCut Classic makes easy work of long, thick grass. It is a myth that reel mowers require more frequent mowings, but it is desirable to cut only the top 1/3rd of grass for ideal maintenance. A lawn will normally absorb these cuttings as fertiliser, while longer clippings can either be raked off or removed with a grass catcher accessory.
ADVANTAGES OF REEL MOWING:
- No carbon footprint to operate and no localized toxins (zero emissions).
- Blade action snips grass for a healthier cut (power mowers tend to tear and bruise grass blades).
- Low RPM decreases the potential for property damage and also decreases the broadcasting of weed seeds and allergens that naturally occur in your lawn.